Saturday, October 13, 2007

Using Sketches as a Launching Point For Your Layouts

In a previous post, Style or Rut, I challenged you to try something new in your scrapbooking . . . a new technique, a new layout style, new colors, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't received any feedback from you as to whether you were able to meet this challenge. I would still welcome links to your layouts, both old and new, showing something new that you have tried.

To help you in this process of trying something new, I would like to suggest the book, Quick & Easy Sketches for Scrapbookers, available at Amazon.

 

Quick & Easy Sketches for Scrapbookers

Click image to be taken to Amazon.com

 

Though this book primarily features paper layouts, the book is designed as a resource for all types of scrapbookers, with the ideas and concepts presented easily applied to layouts created digitally.

To begin with, the main concept of the book is that you can use a sketch as a starting point to create very different layouts that utilize different scrapbooking styles. The book is then divided into chapters, according to the number of photos to be scrapped . . . 1, 2 to 3, 4 and 5, and finally 6 or more photos. Each chapter presents a variety of layout sketches with accompanying completed layouts showcasing three different styles:

  1. Simple - These pages are supposed to be uncomplicated yet stunning and could be completed in less than one hour.
  2. Graphic - These pages are more linear and follow the principles and concepts of graphically-inspired design on scrapbook pages.
  3. Enhanced - These pages showcase innovative techniques and elaborate designs.

This book should definitely inspire you to branch out and try a new technique or arrangement on your layouts.

I encourage you to leave me a comment below and/or links to your layouts. I look forward to hearing from you!

4 comments:

John Dyhouse said...

Hi, Just found your blog via blogrush....... Great stuff, I will be reading you regeularly. I am new to this but see it as a next step and you give some wonderful inspiring ideas in your posts
- John

Linda Vich said...

Thanks for stopping by, John! I hope that you will find many posts of interest on your future stops at my blog! Thanks also for letting me know how you found me!

Cheryl said...

Wow, I am inpressed by your review of this book. You are a good writer and certainly providing great resoucrses for digital scrapbookers

Linda Vich said...

Thanks, Hummie! I love to write but I will never be able to provide the resources that you share on your blog!